Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Trapped

This afternoon we had a little situation at our apartment. Diana called me at work and said that Abby had accidentally locked herself in our bedroom. So I rushed home and by the time I got here, Abby was screaming bloody murder. Our bedroom doors are really old so they don't have regular locks on them. They just have a little latch on the frame that swings in front of the door and locks into place. Abby had been playing with the latch in our bedroom and accidentally locked it. I tried taking the door knob off, but it has screws from both sides so that didn't work. Then I tried kicking the door open, but that didn't work either. So I got a hammer and tried to wedge open one of the windows from the outside. As it turns out, using a hammer as a wedge is not such a bright idea. I accidentally broke the window and cut my finger. This wasn't my plan, but it solved the problem. I was able to reach through, crank open the other window, climb in, and jump down onto our bed. By that time, Abby had been in there screaming for about half an hour. Needless to say, she was pretty happy to see me. Her version of the story goes something like this, "Dada....window....JUMP!"

(Our landlord agreed to pay for a new window)

This week is Fall Break at the U. Here are a few of the projects I've been working on recently. The first is a skyscraper in downtown Salt Lake that I designed with 3 other guys for our Structural Typology class. The second is a rendering I did for my Renovation Design Studio. And the last one is a rendering I did for a project that I worked on over the summer.

3 comments:

Dave Harris Family said...

Thats scary that Abby locked herself in. She is so cute. I am glad it turned out okay. I hope your finger is doing well too. Also, your projects are really neat.

Ian and Lara said...

That is hilarious! Malia did that exact same thing at about that exact same age! I had to call Ian, and he ended up just taking the door knob off. Not fun you cut your finger!

Karen said...

Your designs look awesome! Are they actually going to build that building in SL? That would be so cool to say that YOU designed it. (I guess that's your job though so you probably say that a lot huh??)

I'm glad you got Abby out without causing too many injuries! Hope your finger gets better! :)