Well, the big moose hunt is all over. We hunted hard for four days and passed on several smaller bulls. Tuesday morning we called in a bull that was a lot bigger than any we had seen, but I decided to pass on him as well. This was a tough decision knowing that most of my help would be leaving over the next 24 hours and I would be hunting alone. Before leaving that canyon I decided to drop down and make a loop around the ridge we were glassing from. I hadn't gone more than a few hundred yards when I noticed a bull standing broadside at 75 yards. I could tell he was bigger than the one I'd just passed on, and at that point I decided it would be crazy to pass on him. It only took one shot to bring him down. Everyone back up on the ridge heard the shot and came running. It was a good ending to a great hunt. He may not have been the biggest bull on the mountain, but considering that we didn't have a professional guide, horses, or access to private land, he's a trophy in my book. And to top it all off, we'll end up with over 300 pounds of moose meat. So if anyone wants to try some, just let me know. There should be plenty to go around. Here are a few highlights from the hunt.....
Diana and the girls came up to visit before opening day
Our fearless moose hunting crew

Moose camp
Opening morning
My dead rest and shooting lane




Rand did most of the dirty work
Moose quarters (close to 100 pounds each)
Packing out all the meat
(Thanks to everyone who helped out! I couldn't have done it without you guys.)
2 comments:
With the exception of the packing it all out, looks like lots of fun!!! Congrats and sorry we missed it.
so excited you got your moose!!! And, love the music btw!
Post a Comment